Saturday, December 01, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook

Excellent movie, very enjoyable, left the cinema on a high. Almost in tears half way through but definitely had tears of happiness at the end. It's all very embarrasing being reduced to tears but one has to let go sometimes,don't you think.

I'm listening to England doing over the All Blacks as I write this, and as one would expect the commentary is over the top. They're calling it the best England performance ever!

Anyway back to Silver Linings. Tiffany, played by a very beautiful and sexy Jennifer Lawrence decides to teach Patrick how to dance. He's reluctant at first but then goes along with her plan to enter them in some dancing competition. They're in her apartment and she turns on her ipod, and I thought to myself I know that tune, surely they're not going to dance to "Girl from the North Country". But they did, and it was beautiful, and I did feel a little tear form in the corner of my eye. Very moving.

For those of you who don't know the song it's a Bob Dylan song from his second album, "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". The version they used is the one he did with Johhny Cash, where they duet and sing verse about. It sounded as good as it ever has. I still remember the first time I heard that album, and there are at least two of you reading this who were there at the time, way back when we were boys.

When I got home I went to play my copy of the CD but it's vanished. Who could have nicked it? Must be a very bad person. I've turned the place upside down looking for it today and it's definitely gone. Anyway it's on youtube if anyone wants to have a listen. You will need to search out the one with the video as there are lots of copies on youtube.

Robert De Niro was superb as the father. He's such a performer. I love it when he says "fucking". He says it like no-one else can. It's great to see him ageing so beautifully.

This movie is worth seeing for all the performances, but Dylan fans it's a must see.

England have won, so well done boys... and Chelsea going great guns... I don't think... wonder if what's his name will be there come new year.

No comments: