Thursday, November 08, 2012

Homeward Bound

Here I am in Amsterdam, Schipol Airport, with five hours to while away until my flight back to Edinburgh leaves at 21:15. So might as well spend a few minutes on my blog or at least until the one hour of free Internet access so generously provided by the Dutch is exhausted, or I'm exhausted, whichever comes first. Probably my exhaustion, though I did manage a few hours sleep on the overnight flight from Lima. We had a medical emergency on board but I think he survived ok. They found a doctor and gave him some oxygen, so hopefully he's going to be home safe and sound by now, unless of course like me he's connecting here for home airport.

Airports are not great places to be wasting a few hours in, and they seem to be the same wherever you go,excep Stornoway airport which is a law unto itself. So many people, you have to wonder what they all get up to on their travels?

I had this strange woman sitting beside me on the flight from Lima. Usually you dread having someone of large proportions sitting next to you. But she was just a skinny thing but she wanted lots of space, including mine. She kept pushing my elbow out of the way, every time I tried to rest it on the shared armrest. She was a bitter old woman. She fell asleep so I gave her a good slap. Well no I didn't but I was lose to it. While she was sleeping in the middle of the night the cabin crew brought some snacks for us and I had some ice cream, at 3:15 am! Anyway her husband had a sandwich but didn't bother to wake her up. He probably felt the same as me, let her sleep and give us peace. She woke up when the cabin crew were away. She was furious with him and seemed to imply that I was somehow culpable too. She gave him a good talking to and seemed to think that he should go in search of the crew, which I'm glad to say he refused to do. Unfortunately they came back round so she got her snack. Usually one makes an effort to chat to fellow passengers but not with this one.

I've noticed that Schipol are timingmy access time and have only few minutes left.

So will close this post for now and go back to reading Molloy,which I've read a few times now but is always like a new experience every time. Such is Mr Beckett. I think in fact I may have quoted from him in the past in this blog. Maybe the bit about his method of communicating with his mother, with knocks on the head, one tap for yes, two for no, etc. I'm sure you know the drill by now.

Will write more re my trip once I'm home. All for now.

2 comments:

The Wicked Messenger said...

Have set next to a few of them in trips across the pond.

Welcome home!

Great few days, Obama and then Barcelona.

Donald Maciver said...

Nice to be back, busy meeting up with friends etc past couple days. Back to work Monday.... fun fun fun