Monday, October 29, 2012

Heber 2012

Yesterday Heber and I met for the first time this time round. He's 18 now and quite grown up. It's hard for me to believe all the years that have flown by since I first met him and his brother in La Policia de la Familia in Cusco, in 2006. I always enjoy seeing him, he's a pleasure to be with and loves to chat and tell me all about his life here in Lima. I was a bit worried for a while back there that he was about to go back to Cusco, but he's decided to stay here.

He's now working and getting trained in electronic/electrical installation work for a big company in Chosica called, I think, Pinturas CPP. He seems to be doing well there and enjoys the work but he's always tired as he starts work every day at 8, which means leaving the house at 6, and he works till 5, so gets home at 7. Six days a week. And not for much money. He will start going to college some time next year, but he will have to go at night.

Still it's better being tired than being on the streets. He tells me that he's known me now for longer than he's really known his father, with whom he is no longer in touch. His mother keeps promising things for him and promising to come to see him. But she never does. He's developed a resistance to these disappointments in his life and knows not to put much faith in empty promises. Luckily for him he is able to live with his aunt, and his uncle is good to him too, and got him the job. He works alongside his uncle and gets his transport to work with him.

So altogether it's been good news from him and I'm really pleased and happy for him, and hope I've played a wee part along the way by supporting him and encouraging him. He seems to think so. He's got himself a girlfriend now and has been with her for some time. He tells me he met her when she used to take his moto taxi to college and he sometimes took her home as well. Which I thought was a romantic wee story. She is studying to go to university, but I forget what she will study. He still says his first boy will be called Donald, though the girlfriend is not yet aware of this. If it's a girl maybe he will call her Donaldina!! or maybe not.. still the thought is nice.

His favourite music right now is Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Queen (Freddy and the boys). He was listening to "I want to break free", when he arrived in Miraflores to see me. He also likes Peruvian music of course. I might put a link to Queen on my fb page just for a laugh.

That's all for now. I will see him again next Sunday, all being well. I know there are a few people who read my blog who also know Heber, so this posting is by way of keeping you all up to date on his life. Those of you who have known him would be proud of him now and those of you who didn't believe in him, well........ what can I say?

I meant to mention, talking about moto taxis, as we were back there, that I had my first ride in one on Friday in Villa Salvador. Along with Flor and Milena, sitting cosily in the back with them, there not being anywhere else of course but the back. It was a short exhilirating ride, shall we say, quite nerve wracking, but we got there. I hope not to have to do it again.

No comments: