Saturday, October 27, 2012

Fantastic Party at Villa El Salvador

Our party last night in Villa El Salvador turned out to be a triumph in every way imaginable. Kids loved it. Must have been about forty or more there. They seemed to keep coming. They said it was the best party they have had. People came from around to see what was going on, as we were quite loud.

The childrens' entertainer was superb. She kept all these kids going for two hours or more. They sang their hearts out. Amazing how many songs they know. They seemed to know all the lyrics for just about any song she played. She was accompanied by a DJ and an organist, who both did a great job too. They had come earlier to decorate the place for a Halloween type party and I must say it was looking good. Flor and Milena and myself brought along the drinks and delicacies and all the kids got a little pack to keep them going or take home as they wished.

I had to make a very short speech, in Spanish of course, and I suddenly heard myself asking the kids if I should come back next year, which brought a loud cheer and yes of course I promised to come back. All the kids seemed to know my name, even ones who had not been there the previous Friday, and I waited outside to say goodbye to them all. I don't know if I will be able to go back next Friday as it's quite a journey to get out there, as I have to go to Villa Maria first and then go in a bus with Flor. I don't think I could find my way around there on my own, and in any case Flor would not allow me to.

So got home last night feeling very happy at having made my small contribution to life in Villa El Salvador. And tired.

Meantime life goes on as usual in Villa Maria. Two of our boys, Oscar and Jean Paul, have been chosen to play in a football six a side game against President Humala and two of his ministers and three congressmen. This is happening on 10 November two days after I leave Lima, so I miss my chance of getting to meet the President of Peru. I'm tempted to extend my stay.

All for now. Will post some pics of Villa El Salvador.

No comments: