Thursday, January 06, 2011

Working life

Such a busy time here in Cusco I rarely have time to write anything here. It doesn't help that I don't have internet in the apartment of course. I leave my laptop in the office here in Maximo, so don't have to carry it every day. Am I repeating myself?

It's Thursday morning here and am in Maximno prior to going off to work at La Policia. I really enjoy my time with the kids at La Policia, though I'm not sure that enjoy is the right word to use, when I see how life has treated so many of these boys and girls. It's a cruel old world, but it always amazes me how the kids survive and get on with things. I think it's more gratifying than enjoyable.

There were nine kids there yesterday, seven boys and two girls. All with their own sad story to tell. All of them individually so important, if you're the kid living it, but all so similar. All comes down to same conclusion.... revolution now. Maybe some day some of these kids will take up the fight. It's the same the whole world over.

I can't recount all the stories on here, but there is one boy there just now who has got to me. He is a "special needs" boy though not that much, he's about 11 or 12. He seems to have been abondoned in the street, which is not unusual. There are two other boys also abandoned. This wee guy is a complete mystery as no-one knows who he is and he can't or won't say his name or who he is. The police say he can't speak. First time I saw him he was in a corner hiding his face and crying. Nobody paying any attention, not that there is anyone who can. It was heartbreaking to behold, though I'm a bit soft in that regard. Other boys wanted me to play games soon as I arrived but waited while I tried to speak to this guy. I gave him my hand and tried my best to re-assure him. He responded after a while and we dried his tears and he wanted a cuddle. I took his had and lead him to the table to play games with the other boys.

He gave me a big smile and along he came, sat beside me and joined in as best he could. Big smiles from him and then he spoke a few words. Not much but at least proof that he can speak a bit. Second day I saw him was the same situation, he was left in a corner all on his own though not crying. The police just do not have the resources to be social workers or spend much time dealing with this kind of situation. Lets hope he gets to a good home. Wonder what today will bring?

All for now.....

2 comments:

Garry Chatham said...

Hello again from snowy Glasgow. We'll see how we cope with it this time round. We're not used to, or prepared for, seasonal weather. Certainly not snow or frost IN WINTER.

Ben not offended by your Harry Potter opinions - he's already too mature for HP. They have given the books special covers for the more mature reader, but he's still not interested.

We were probably at the panto as you typed. Aladdin at the Armadillo featured worldwide stars The Krankies and John Barrowman. I don't like to talk about it.

All of which leads me to say that you will have to look out that dress (I know it exists!) as you are going to be a great-aunt. Gayle and baby girl are healthy and well and everyone is delighted.

Your work in Maximno sounds both sad and rewarding. So many people must be going without the help they need as, if they can't identify the kids, I assume they can't identify the parents, who must also have issues of their own. It is sad that resources don't exist to address the problems that you encounter, and that people seem quick to write some of the kids off. I can't imagine how you must have felt when the boy responded to you. It's good you can make a real difference for the time you are there.

Lewis is coming over tomorrow, so i'm going to the carnival with him and Ben in the afternoon. Thanks very much for the Christmas presents, by the way.

Take care,

Garry, Gayle and Ben x

Donald Maciver said...

Hi Garry, Gayle and Ben, great news about my future great niece. Hope all is well. Have I ever told you about Gayle's grandad's crossdressing outing? If not remind me to tell you when I get back. Funny now in retrospect, though it was quite funny at the time too. My last few days in Cusco. Busy busy. Going to see my fsvourite band tonight for last time. See you all soonish, love from Donald... my official peruvian name... ps amother wee girl to delight my wee brother in his old age... tell him to give me a comment on here soon... and to nurse my car back to life... byeeee