Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Three Excellent Films

As I said in my last post I've seen three excellent movies in the last couple of weeks.  Brooklyn is based on the book by Colm Toíbín with script by Nick Hornby. Toíbín is one of my favourite writers and the film does full justice to his novel, set in the Fifties, telling the story of Eilis who emigrates to New York, where she eventually settles down and meets a nice young Italian boy. Ellis is played superbly by Saoirse Ronan, and the film is worth seeing just for her performance alone. Amazing eyes, say so much, definitely an Oscar worthy performance. And look out for Julie Walters as the New York landlady " no more talk of our Lord's complexion at the dinner table". Jim Broadbent is lovely as the priest and Domhnall Gleeson is great as the Irish boy who falls for her charms in Ireland. What a good first name he has to boot?

The Lady in the Van was my next film. Based on Alan Bennett's book of the same name. If you're a fan of Maggie Smith this is certainly for you and if you're not  then this performance from her will surely change your mind. Someone told me it's the best film they've ever seen, which is maybe going a bit far, but it's certainly the best performance I've seen from old Maggie. Aren't we lucky to be around when she is at the top of form. She made me laugh and cry in equal measure. The scene towards the end where she sits down at the piano and plays had me in tears. Beautiful stuff, though I can't now remember what she played, except it was tear inducing. The actor who plays Bennett, Alex Jennings, should not be forgotten, as his performance playing Bennett the writer and Bennett living the life, and arguing with himself in split screen is terrific. Maggie Smith's performance is also worthy of an Oscar. I would have difficulty choosing between the two.

I went to see Bridge of Spies on Monday and thoroughly enjoyed it. True story based on the Gary Powers spy swap back in the early sixties. I knew about Powers and the spy swap but had never heard of the lawyer, played by Tom Hanks, who helped bring it all about. And went on to work for Kennedy's administration, negotiating in Cuba etc. I think that's what they said at the end anyway. Mark Rylance gives a terrific enigmatic performance, as the Russian spy half of the swap.

I was interrupted last night by the Man Utd defeat in Europe. Very poor stuff. van Gaal must go methinks. Anyway Bridge of Spies is well worth an hour or two of your time. "A square meal of a movie" as the good Doctor said in his review.

That's all for now. I was at Ward One today to get checked over for my chemo to start. Would you believe it, all my tests are excellent, all vital signs up to standard, or higher even. Just my luck to be so fit an yet so unwell. But at least the chemo goes ahead and I start tomorrow on these tablets, called Capecitabine. I have to take 1800 mg twice daily, six tabs, twice a day. But I don't need any chemo pumped into my veins this time, which is a big relief.

3 comments:

neilandelaine said...

This is not a comment on the film reviews; it'just that the blessed Tom Leonard has been in touch with a warning about the risks poets face. And here it is; watch they metafors man

would thi prisoner
in the bar
please stand

fur thi aforesaid crime
uv writn anuthir poem
awarded thi certificate of safety
by thi Scottish education department

fit tay be used in schools
huvn no bad language
sex subversion or antireligion

I hereby sentence you
tay six munths hard labour
doon nthi poetry section
uv yir local library
coontn thi fuckin metaphors

neilandelaine said...

And I nearly forgot; the hand fasting stuff is magic too. Imagine the celts up to all sorts they were. On top of all the drinking and dancing it's all high risk behaviour. Naw? You also probably owe me a pint or two for keeping you company as you learnt the songs of the sweet ps
Amidst of Israel in our young days. You will recall that he was inspired by the Holy Spirit, different but a spirit nevertheless.

For the record I managed to prove to Google that I'm not a robot. They say I'll get certificate in the post by christmas. It'll join the one I have from the Nicolson for good attendance that week in 1963.

Niall Beag

Donald Maciver said...

Lovely wee poem from Tom Leonard, the cheeky fucker. He's a very naughty boy indeed. I want to see him sometime.Have you ever seen him? Glad you liked the hand fasting. I will let them know. Don't quite get the sweet ps bit? I well remember you leading me astray many times when we were young and I was innocent, and Israel meant something else to us. and i well remember that week when you went to school.... well done on that.