Monday, December 07, 2015

"bundles of bog cotton"

It's just over a year ago since I was told that my cancer was no longer curable. I must say there were times when I didn't think I would make another year so I am very pleasantly surprised to be still around to continue writing my blog.  I do notice I've written a lot less this year than in previous years but plan to do something about that in the next year. I hope to make it a record year for postings. I notice that last year I wrote 56 and only managed 29 so far this year. Poor showing Donald! The most I've written was 109 in 2010 so let's see if I can manage that many next year.  That will be one of my targets for 2016, seeing as it now looks as if I'm going to make it there.

You may recall that my poem The Spirit of You was accepted for inclusion in the writing anthology being published raising funds for Maggies' Cancer Care Centres. The book is called bundles of bog cotton and is being launched at Maggies' Centre, Glasgow on Friday of this week. I've been invited along as one of the contributors and also invited to read my poem at the launch. This feels like a big honour to me and I'm proud that my wee poem will help to raise funds for Maggies' Centres and continue to do so long after I'm no longer around to boast about it.

According to Tom Leonard the Scottish poet, writer and critic " The book is a mind-opener as well as a locus of solidarity for the cancer affected." I never thought that Tom Leonard would ever read a poem of mine, so thank you Tom, I might even write to you to say thanks. Or maybe you'll read this too and accept my thanks. If I should ever discover that Tom is doing a reading in Edinburgh I shall definitely be going.

I hope I can hold myself together on the day to be able to read the poem and do it justice. I feel very emotional at the best of times nowadays and tears are never far away. The poem means so much to me and brings back memories and thoughts that are sometimes painful. It was written soon after I was told that my cancer was not curable.

Speaking of which I've just had news today that my next round of chemo begins on Wednesday, so that's something to look forward to. Let's all hope that it makes a difference. I know that one of my friends prays for me and another one meditates and includes me in her meditation, so now seems as good a time as any do so. Thank you Neil and Yuri.

I've suddenly found that I can resume my cinema going with some fondness. I've seen three great movies in past couple of weeks so will tell you about them next time we meet.

No comments: