Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Wedding Plans

I notice that there are only twenty two posts on this blog in 2015, which is the lowest total in a year since 2008, when I wrote twenty six posts, so I'm going to have to pull my socks up and do some writing before year end to catch up. Don't know what happened to me in 2008. Maybe I didn't go to Peru that year, or maybe I was just being lazy.

I have a date for my next scan now on 3rd November and then I see Dr McLean on the 12th November. I'm hoping that the tumours have stopped growing, or at least slowed down, and that there are no new tumours anywhere, and maybe we can delay chemotherapy into 2016. If not I'm prepared for whatever comes my way. And remain confident. Well I have to really.

I went to see the Senior Registrar in the oncology department at the Cancer Centre last week and discussed with her the possibility of having mistletoe therapy along with chemotherapy. Having listened to her and thought carefully about things, I have decided against the mistletoe therapy. I may go back to it later, but for now it's off the cards.

I felt quite relieved having taken this decision, as it had been playing on my mind since I went to Glasgow to talk about it.  I still think that there could be good things to be gained from it, but I have to go along with my oncologists advice. She was well aware of the treatment and knew all about it. She had come across it in her posting in Aberdeen and also from her work in Ireland where it's use is more common than here, but of course they don't have an NHS over there. Germany seems to use it in many oncology departments along with other treatments. At least that's what the fellow in Aberdeen told me, though doctor I saw last week seemed doubtful about that.

That's my health news for today. Amongst other news, those of you who have known me for a few years will be delighted to hear that Kieran is getting married to the very beautiful Kerry on the 14th of November, over there in sunny Lanarkshire, where Kerry hails from. The marriage will be at St Chalmers Church, all welcome, and then on to The Popinjay Hotel for the reception. I will travel over on the Friday and stay a couple of nights in the hotel to save me worrying about travel and health situation on the day.

I'm looking forward to the big event.  I'll need to go and buy a new suit for myself. All the men will be in kilts, naturally, but I just couldn't bring myself to wear one. Not after managing all these years without it. Kieran understands and doesn't mind. I hope he comes with me to choose a suit. It might be dark blue, or navy or grey. Suggestions on a postcard please. I will treat myself to a new tie too.

It's hard for me to believe that it's 23 years since we first met, when he was eight years old, and we went to the bFriends base at his school. When we got back to his house June was waiting for us with his mum and with some degree of anxiousness as there was a party in full swing, singing and bevvies etc. Happy days.

No comments: