Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Little Wager

For a while back I didn't think I would live long enough see another footie season commence. So I'm delighted to see that I'm still here as another season heaves into view. Incidentally the Guardian was recently taken to task for incorrect use of hoves instead of heaves, so I was particularly keen to impress with my correct usage there.

Yesterday I was feeling more confident about future possibilities than I have for a long time, so thinking about prospects for the new season I popped in to chat with my local bookie and see what he thought the odds were for Man United to win the league. He reckons the odds are 11/2, which seems quite generous, given all the new signings recently. What with Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay and Darmian joining us, things are looking very exciting indeed. I will have to teach my Mac Book Pro how to spell all these names for future reference.

I decided that these odds were far too good to miss so I put a small wager on my team to win the league and hope to live to collect my winnings next May 2016. There's confidence for you. Let's hope Dr McLean has good news for me when I see her on Thursday for my scan results. If I win the bet I think I might donate my winnings to young Ben, as he will be getting ready to start secondary school about that time. If I'm not around someone will know what to do with the dosh I'm sure.

Stoke City are 3000/1 to win the league. Seems about right so worth a pound of my hard earned pension. I aim to see both teams in the new season. I feel I'm as well to make plans just like all the rest of you and live as if  I have a long life ahead of me. Though having said that nothing really allows me to forget my cancer.

I was hoping to go to see Amy at the cinema this afternoon, but unfortunately I was not well enough to go out this morning so had to cancel my trip. I hope to go later this week. Will let you know how it goes. I'm off out now and will come home to watch the end of the Open on tele later, and hoping for a Scottish win, so come on Paul Lawrie.

2 comments:

neilandelaine said...

Just to clarify, should Ben plan on getting the winnings if Stoke win the EPL? That's a better bet to fund a Scottish education. At 3000/1 he could be thinking of Eton and possibly a cabinet post by the time he's thirty.

Amy should be interesting but think we'll wait for the DVD. On a musical note, check out the Punch Bros on spotify.

Neil and Elaine

Donald Maciver said...

I'm looking to Stoke to do the business. Man U just fall back position. Not sure I want you to waste it on Eton though, could you not arrange entry to Nicolson Institute for the boy and he could be as well educated as his grandfather? You and Elaine could move up there to look after him? Now you've got time on your hands.

Funnily enough I have a CD of Punch Bros. I asked my pal Emer to give it to me for my birthday a year or two ago. Great wee band. Wanted to go to see them last year but health didn't permit. CD is called Who's feeling young now?