Monday, April 21, 2014

Ward One

At long last I'm getting my fourth round of chemo after four unsuccessful attempts. I'm in Ward One now and it's 4 o'clock having arrived here at 9 o'clock this morning. I have another three hours to go before I can go home. Needless to say I'm exhausted. The long delay is down to waiting for blood tests and having to consult with Dr McLean, my oncologist, as they've had to reduce my dose because of all the adverse side effects I've been getting. Hopefully the reduction will lead to less bad reactions and no more delays in my treatment. 

I'm now down to 60% of the maximum dose. I'm told this should not reduce the efficiency but I do wonder. My life in their hands. 

There's an old guy with me who is very deaf and shouts instead of speaking. He likes to talk and has given us all a potted life history at full volume. The person he was talking to managed to put a halt to things just as he was about to begin his parents life story. Peace. 

A nice nurse has offered to fetch me a cup of tea and a biscuit. I still have three hours to go. 

Last time I wrote a blog post on my iPhone I was sitting in a cafe in miraflores in Lima. I would give the world to be there right now. I'm determined to get back to that cafe within the next year even If it's the last thing I ever do. 

I've just had a long relaxing foot massage provided by a nice young lady from McMillan Centre. Very wonderful and invigorating. Ward One is full of surprises don't you think? Hands off our NHS, Dave you old bastard. Leave something for Alex to mess up when we get our freedom. 

Yesterday I went for a walk round Blackford Pond for the first time since my cancer arrived and it was the best walk round there I've ever done. Took me one hell of a long time to get round there and I had to rest for two or three hours afterwards. In fact I fell asleep. Totally out of it so to speak. But walk was worth it, all the birds sang for me, a robin sat still while I took his photo, the swans carried on making their nest as I watched and an old guy came to feed the ducks. I've spent hours of my life walking by that pond and took all the boys I worked with to see it. I wonder if any of them will visit and remember as they get older and I'm long gone? One can but hope. 

No comments: