Sunday, September 08, 2013

With Emer to see What Masie Knew

That's three weeks now gone by since my last dose of radiotherapy, slowly beginning to feel less tired and able to go further for longer. I have a new system for my stoma, a big improvement, much easier to use and less intrusive. Thanks to my stoma nurse Mary S. Three more weeks to wait now for my scans, for which I now have dates. Will be seeing my oncologist, Dr Mclean on Wednesday for general check up, and to make sure the chemo isn't killing me, or something. It's strange how she has become my oncologist. Very possessive, but it seems right somehow.

Now that I'm feeling fitter I have managed my first ride on the top deck of an Edinburgh double decker bus. There is no better way to see Edinburgh than from the front top seat of a double decker. Well there may be but I can't think what it might be right now. I've also managed my first walk down the High Street for about four months, and it felt fantastic. Is there a more beautiful, historic, exciting High Street anywhere else in the world? I think we all know the answer to that one.

I've also signed on for a couple of classes with City of Edinburgh Council and been to my first cancer support group at Maggie's Centre, which was excellent, will write more about it another time. I met a Stornoway woman there, who turns out to be known to two old friends of mine.. although she only knows about one of them at moment. Smallish world.

Not only all that but I also managed a second trip to the cinema, to see What Maisie Knew, with my good friend Emer. Good movie, with Steve Coogan and Julianne Moore playing two terrible disgraceful parents giving a no holds barred exhibition of how not to parent. Excruciatingly painful at times but also very funny. It's based on a novel of the same name by Henry James. The stand out performance is by the wee girl playing Maisie. She does not say much, though she's on screen most of the time. But she does not have to say much as she must have one of the most expressive faces I've ever seen and gets through enough emotions to last her a life time and a half. Extraordinary and delightful performance. Her name is Onata Aprile and I'm sure she has a huge career ahead of her, which I hope to witness.

Thank you to Emer for coming with me, but not just for coming to this film, but for being my good friend for over twenty years. I won't say how many as don't want to give your age away. Thirty something I think you told me last week!! Thank you for all your support, not just for past few months, but for what seems like a lifetime, which it is I suppose. You are a beautiful person, I doubt if I will ever be able to pay you back for everything. I have many memories of concerts, and bands and films we've seen together or with other people. So many and too numerous to mention. Maybe we will make a list next time we meet. Anyway Emer I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Don I'm lost for words and pretty choked - I'm not used to such sentimentality from you! Loving you too although a little less for thinking I'm as old as to have known you for over 30 years!!

Donald Maciver said...

No no , I didn't mean it to read like that Emer, must be my poor writing skills. More like forty years! I suppose you've noticed the spelling mistake in the title? Maisie it should be of course, sorry folks.