Friday, September 27, 2013

Thank you to DWP Wester Hailes

This post is by way of a thank you to my colleagues at the DWP office in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh for their fantastically generous donation to Maggie's Cancer Centre.

I have now retired from DWP and yesterday my pals in Wester Hailes had a dress down fund raising day to celebrate my retirement, with all the proceeds going to Maggie's Centre. I brought in some cup cakes and chocolate doughnuts to say thanks for having me in the office for the past eight years and they raised the amazing sum of £174. I think I'm allowed to use the word amazing in this context, if it's good enough for Brian Cox, it's good enough for me.

Amazing as there were only about 30 folk in the office yesterday. I am so impressed, I can't say thank you enough. You are a fine bunch of people.

Special mention to Liz and Lesley for organising it all. I've known Liz for many years, too many to mention here, and Lesley for quite a few, and I know the amount of work you do fund raising for so many good causes over the years. You deserve lots of praise for your efforts, and a medal would be awarded if it was up to me. I know we tend to hide under our desks whenever you appear on the horizon, but we love you both really.

And I've not forgotten Liz that you are waiting part two of my Leaving DWP post, and I promise it will be here soon, and you will get a mention, for sure. But I won't reveal any of your secrets, so don't worry!!!

Anyway thank you very much to all the fine staff at Wester Hailes DWP. Your generosity touched my heart and I'm sure Maggie's Centre will be hugely grateful and impressed. THANK YOU.

This afternoon I'm having lunch with my DWP visiting team colleagues, and then my farewell event in the Newsroom tonight. Celebrating forty years of debauchery in DWP!!! Wonder who will turn up?

No comments: