Friday, August 09, 2013

Cancer Car Park and a silly joke

Twenty four of my friends in Peru have read or at least looked at my blog in the past week. I'm very sad not to be seeing you all this year, but next year I will be there. I'm working on a blog posting in Spanish in next few days, so look out for that. If the tiredness doesn't get to me too much.

We oncology patients have our own free car park at Western General Hospital,  and we're always guaranteed a space. I call it the cancer car park. After a while one gets to know some of the patients coming and going, all with their own weight to carry. I sit in my car for a while and watch them coming and going, reflecting how strange it is that I'm now another cancer patient just like all of them. We need to stick together.

There's a solidarity amongst cancer patients, I reckon, we all know what we are going through but find it  hard to express and explain it, but fellow patients intuitively know and understand. I sometimes talk to other patients in the cafe at the Cancer Centre and in the LA5 waiting room.

James is a young guy, maybe late twenties or early thirties, whom I've been chatting to and got to know a little bit.. I first spoke to his wife while she was in LA5 waiting room, while he was getting his daily dose of radiotherapy. They are a lovely young couple with two children at home in Fife. It turns out that he has exactly the same cancer of the colon as I have, and more or less in the same location. Our treatments are very similar and he is running a week behind me. Such a young guy to be going through this. I really feel for them. Shit happens.

He has a different surgeon but the same oncologist as I have. His surgeon didn't do a colostomy before the radiotherapy, though he's been told he will have to have one after the surgery. I'm so glad now that my surgeon persuaded me of the wisdom of having it done pre op rather than post op. It's hard coping with it but getting easier by the day. I won't bore you with the details, but I suspect life would have been very difficult without it, and probably my therapy would have had to be suspended while they operated to fit one. So well done Mr Speake, you knew best of course.

I hope James gets sorted and lives a long life with his young family. Which I'm sure he will. Folk share the most intimate details of their lives as they sit there in the Cancer Centre. One woman was telling me about her son moving to USA just before she got diagnosed. So proud of him and his important new job. She just wanted to share it with someone, get her mind of things and look forward to visiting him, a trip she has had to postpone.

 A few days later she came back and sat down beside me, I didn't recognise her, but she had obviously decided that we were now good friends. She seemed distant and needing to talk. We chatted again about our treatments and then I remembered who she was. She has spoken to her son on the phone. I told her about Skype but not sure if she took it on board.  She left to go down town to meet friends even though she was exhausted. She was going by bus, so don't know where her husband is and didn't  like to ask. Would hate to be told he had died of cancer or something.

Very Silly Joke: " the jockstrap was invented by Alfred Hitchcock" according to Barry Cryer.

No comments: