Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Last Post 2012

I guess I should be writing something in my blog as folk seem to be checking it out and finding nothing new, which is not good at all. So thought I would remedy the situation with my last post for 2012, which might just be random dribblings, you never know. I'm currently trying to chat to Iain on FB and write this. Think I shall have to cut him off in his prime. I can't do multi tasking I'm afraid, (wonder if that should be hyphenated or maybe even one word).

Two of my favourite books have recently been turned into movies, so it was with some degree of trepidation that I went to see them, in case my memories should be ruined. But needn't have worried.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was a book I really enjoyed reading a few years ago. A very unusual and original book, which lots of people didn't take to for some reason. Not an easy book to film as one of the two main characters is a Bengal tiger, called Richard Parker, by mistake. I saw the film in 3D and it's easily the best use of 3D I've seen. In fact it's the only time I've seen 3D and thought it was worthwhile and added to the experience. I'm pleased to say that the good doctor, Mark Kermode agrees with me on this one, though he still says he reserves judgement till he's seen it in 2D too. It's a breathtaking movie, full of suspense and adventure, great acting by the young guy playing Pi, Suraj Sharma, (and the two boys who play him at five and ten), and of course by the tiger, who is superb, and terrifying and thoroughly believable. I'm told that for about 25 percent of the tiger scenes its a real tiger performing, even swimming in the sea. At one point when Pi has understood how to calm him down, the tiger lays his head on Pi's lap, and it's as if for real. Obviously that was not a real tiger. Great stuff. If you haven't read the book it's worth reading but the film is a must see.

Midnight's Children is one of the great books of past few decades. I can't remember how many decades it is now, but lots of years seem to have past since I read it first. It's one of those books which is so good that you get that tingling feeling of excitement and wonder as you read, and you wish it would never come to an end. Some books have that effect on me. Does anyone else get the tingles? I saw the film of the book at the weekend. Brilliantly realised version of the book, which just did not seem possible given the magical realism involved. I was so excited seeing this movie that I seemed to know I would end up in tears, and though I manfully resisted I'm afraid in the end I was in tears, much to the astonishment of my pal, who had the good sense not to mention it. If you haven't read the book it's time to do so now, and the film is a must. The scenery is stunning, no need for 3D, the magical bits are, well, just magical.

Dawn French is one of our best comediennes, and one of my favourites. She was on Desert Island Discs last week and chose Etta James singing At Last, because that's what her mother said to her when she lay dying, " at last I will be with your dad" or words to that effect. She cried when she spoke about it. Which only makes me like her more. Her father committed suicide and her mum died of cancer. Speaking of Etta James I've a cd of her doing Dylan covers and a fine cd it is too.

I hope you all supported Amnesty International by buying "Chimes of Freedom" which is a four cd set of Dylan covers by lots of different artists. More than seventy songs, all different, by seventy plus singers, musicians. I guess there isn't another songwriter living who has a big and good enough treasure trove for such a concept to be successful. Am listening to it now and gets better every listen. Thank you once again Bob.

It's 9:45 on Hogmanay, (new years eve for those not familiar with Scots lingo) and question is should I get myself organised, dress up nice and warm and head off out to see Edinburgh's fireworks display at midnight or should I stay home and watch Jools bring in New Year? Mmmm. Will tell you tomorrow what was decided. But think I must go out.

No comments: