Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Short Story experience



Last week I had a short story of mine read out in public at a creative writing class I go to at Edinburgh University. This is a first for me.  I've been attending the class since the beginning of the year and these were the first efforts our teacher had asked us to complete. He told us to be prepared to have it read out to the class, but I was just not expecting him to choose my humble little effort. 


The first couple of weeks we did various different exercises building up to our first completed short story two weeks ago. He aims for a story a week, which is hard going I can tell you.

Having my story read out in public was a weird, strange, exciting, incredible experience. I can't really begin to explain how it felt. When I realised it was my story I just wanted to flea the room. But then thought oh well what the hell just got to go with the flow.

Our teacher used to be with the 7:84 Theatre Company and is now  lecturer in drama, so he knows how to do a public reading , which I think kind of helped. As he was reading it I kept thinking to myself did I really write this stuff?

Anyway I don't think it's a great story by any means and as he read it I thought that there were a few things I would change. But I don't think I will, as it's my first effort and I reckon it should be left the way it is. 

The teacher, Colin, wrote some constructive comments, and says it's a very good first effort. But I reckon he says that to all the boys, and girls, of course.

No comments: