Sunday, September 25, 2016

Meeting Gareth for first time

Well here I am in Peru at long last. A distant dream for the past three years and more. I remember asking Mr Speake before he operated on me in late 2013, whether or not I would ever get back and him telling me that  he would have me back in Peru within a year. It's taken a little bit longer than he thought but thanks to him and Dr McLean I have survived and here I am just as he said. I will have to have a word with him about his timings. But I plan to make the most of it.

My principle reason for being here is to spend time with Heber and Pamela and their son Gareth, who needless to say is a beautiful wee fellow an seems to like me just as much as his dad does. That the boy I knew all those years ago in La Policia de la Familia and in various orphanages in Cusco is now a father himself here in Lima is a matter of wonderment and delight. Despite all the obstacles placed in his way by so many people, despite the many people who didn't believe in him, he has grown up to be a delightful young man and a huge credit to himself and his determination to be a good person and succeed in life.

I spent the day with them yesterday. They make a lovely couple and obviously very much in love. Heber is such a kind person and in Pamela he has found a real soulmate. They are loving parents for Gareth and I have no doubt about their ability to give him a good life even though they are so young themselves. Pamela is 19 years of age. I understand now why Heber didn't want me to meet his girlfriend four years ago!

I've managed to explain my situation health wise to them without causing undue distress, but they are both intelligent young people and were both quite upset. I've left a slight possibility open for a return visit next year as I'm not quite ready to say the worst to them - or to myself for that matter.

Being with them yesterday and spending time with Gareth totally justifies my decision to come here even if I were not able to do anything else. Though I will of course.

They came round to my apartment for a couple of hours. A few minutes after I'd invited them and told them a bit more about my health, and that I'm here for six weeks only, Pamela asked if they could spend every weekend with me. How could I refuse such a beautiful girl. I walked them to their bus after we'd eaten and I noticed that Pamela was crying when I gave her a cuddle.

I love them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

¡Qué guapo y mono! Chì mi an aodhbhar 's a bha agad ri tadhal orra airson turas (no dhà) eile. Leugh mi am blog agad is tha e a' cordadh rium gu mòr. Thug thu gàire orm is deòir no dhà orm cuideachd - taing mhòr! Sgrìobhaidh mi post-dealain dhut a-maireach is cuiridh mi fios dhut mu ar deidhinn. Cùm slàn agus làider gu leòr gus am faic mi thu ann an àm nach bi fada. Gach beannachd leat. Le tòrr gaol, Sarah XX