Friday, May 30, 2014

A Little Walk

Today I managed to walk round Blackford Pond again and I have to say after the way I felt over the past few weeks and my stay in hospital, it was a beautiful experience, in fact beyond beautiful. I know some folk may object to my use of the word beyond in this sense, and that it's now the new literally, but I reckon if it's good enough for Bob Geldof to describe himself as beyond grief on the death of his daughter then it's OK for Blackford Pond. Mind you to call it a pond does not do it justice, but it's not a loch or a lake either so don't know what word would better fit our Pond. Any suggestions will be welcome.

The birds all came to welcome me. The swans with their signets, the coots with their babies, some very friendly greylag geese, a few jackdaws, crows, seagulls and the rest. No sign of the heron though.

It's the kind of place where it's good to talk to strangers and today I got chatting to a couple out for their constitutional stroll. It turns out that Mrs Couple has a best friend who comes from Lochs on the Isle of Lewis, a place I know well, and this friend, not sure if it was a man or a woman, but no matter, was a teacher in the Nicolson Institute in Stornoway, also a place I know only too well, having spent six long years in that world famous institution. It's a small world, don't you think.

Earlier in the day my friend Mike came round and he treated me to a light lunch, and promises to treat me to a mystery trip in next few weeks. Also brought me up to date on his trip to Palestine, and gave me a first hand account of the wall and the way the police treat the locals. Badly of course. Mike also put me in the picture re the new party, Podemos, that did so well in the elections in Spain recently.

Am now waiting for my pal to join me so that we can watch the England v Peru game together. No need to guess who I shall be supporting. Vamos Peru.

All for now. Will post some pics later.

No comments: