Tuesday, February 25, 2014

It's only kinky the first time!

This is one of my favourite times of year as the long dark nights begin to leave us and our days begin to get bright and sunny again. Well maybe not quite so sunny but there is a hint of sun up there. I remember how much my mother loved these months leading up to spring, and how much it meant to her up there on her wee croft, getting ready for another year of hard work. Not that I will ever match her in the hard work stakes, but there again very few would. And I'm sure she is somewhere now keeping an eye on things and looking after me as I venture forth in my bid to overcome my cancer.

My chemo was restarted last Wednesday, 19th February after a two week delay to allow my white cells to recuperate. Apparently the problem is caused by low neutraphils which are a type of white blood cell, often lowered by chemotherapy. Too low a count could be fatal as my old body won't  be able to resist all these infections flying around. Frequent washing of hands is recommended as is the avoidance of anyone with an infection. You wouldn't want to kill me now? Would you?

My chemo infusion is administered in Ward One at WGH. It's a very busy place indeed. So many people going through the same agonies. Sometimes it helps to know that there's so many of us, like a team together against the world. But you do of course get to meet all sorts of folks when you're sitting there being infused and fussed over by the lovely nurses of WGH. There was one guy sitting opposite me with an orange and black t-shirt which said : "It's only kinky the first time". I'm sure he wasn't referring to the chemo, or maybe he was. Each to his own as they say. But I feel someone should have said to him  before he was allowed to leave the house that his attire was something less than appropriate. But I have to admire his chutzpah. He then got one of these electronic cigarettes out and began to puff away. I didn't say anything.

There was a woman sitting in the corner with headphones wrapped round her head. I thought she was speaking in her sleep but then she says " och I don't know" and I realised she was on the phone to someone. Everyone has an iphone or similar. Other phones are available as they say.

My infusion had to be slowed down as it became too painful in my veins, so I ended up with a four hour infusion. Once everything settles down I can get on with some reading. I read "Old School" by Tobias Wolff and was able to finish it. He's the guy who wrote " This Boy's Life" which became a great movie with De Nero and DiCaprio starring. "Old School" turns out to be an excellent little book set in a boys' school where they have a annual short story writing competition and the winner gets to meet the visiting writer. Our hero wants to be the one meeting Hemingway, having missed out on Frost. You will have to read the book to find out if he gets his audience with the old man. A short novel but packed with goodies.

Have I mentioned recently that I went to see Dallas Buyers Club at my local cinema? Great performance by Matthew McConaughey, probably now my pick for best actor Oscar, and Jared Leto is superb as transgender woman, who turns is heart. Definitely worth seeing but 12 Years A Slave is Still my tip for best film.

No comments: