Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mandy Frances Collins - 3/07/1961 to 2/01/ 2014

Those of you who have known me for some time will know that Mandy was Kieran's mum. Sadly she passed away on 2nd January having not been well for some time. Kieran took her in to stay with him and Kerry just before Xmas but she became very ill and was taken into Edinburgh Royal Infirmary at the beginning of the year. The doctors advised that she was not expected to survive for more than a few days. Kieran called me to let me know and he then phoned Chris and Johan, his brother and sister, who joined him at the hospital. They were then told that Mandy was not going to make it through the night.

She died at 1:40 am with her three children at her bedside holding her hand. I was sorry that I could not go and support them but I just did not have the strength to be of any use.

Her funeral service was on Monday 13th in Morningside Parish Church and she was laid to rest in  Morningside Cemetery. Mandy had expressed a wish to be buried in Morningside, as she knew and loved the area so well, having spent so much time there attending hospital as an in-patient and out - patient and made many friends whom she liked to visit. She also loved all the superb charity shops we have in Morningside.

When she was a young person Mandy lived in the Ecumenical Stair Community in West Pilton, Edinburgh, which was run by a group of community ministers from local churches. Mandy kept in contact with one of those ministers over the years, the Rev Alan Douglas McDonald, who went on to become Moderator of the Church of Scotland in 2006 - 2007, and is now a minister in St Andrews Fife.

Kieran contacted him to let him know about Mandy's death and he expressed a wish to do all he could to help. He came down from St Andrews to attend the funeral director with Kieran, Chris and Johan, and arranged for the funeral service to be held at  Morningside Parish Church, which is where  the funeral service for John Smith, late leader of the Labour Party was held. It's one of the most beautiful churches in Edinburgh, so the good Rev says. Photo may be forthcoming, but I'm sure the web thing will have some too.

Rev McDonald conducted the service himself and gave Mandy a superb eulogy, which came from his personal friendship and understanding of her history and which made such a difference. I felt so pleased for Mandy. I don't know how many people attended but there were a lot there, including many young people, as well as her brother who had flown over from Boston, USA and her brother from Midlothian and other family members as well as people who had known her in West Pilton.

Her friend Crista, with whom she lived in the Stair Community, read from Corinthians 13, the congregation sang Morning Has Broken and Bind us together Lord. Lustily I thought. Kieran then got up and paid a tribute to his mum, which he did beautifully, and I don't mind saying  he brought a tear to my eye and I felt very proud of him.

I will ask him for permission the post it on here. Meantime I'm sure he won't mind if I finish this post with the Native American Indian prayer he read as the final part of his tribute. I should maybe add that he had his 30th birthday between his mum's death and her funeral. Twenty two years since I first met him and his mum. The day is clear as yesterday in memory. Thanks Kieran. Here is that prayer he finished with:

Life must go on.

Grieve for me, for I would grieve for you.
Then brush away the sorrow and the tears
Life is not over, but begins anew,
With courage you must greet the coming years.

To live forever in the past is wrong;
Can only cause you misery and pain,
Dwell not on memories overlong,
with others you must share and care again.

Reach out and comfort those who comfort you;
Recall the years, but only for a while.
Nurse not your loneliness; but live again.
Forget not. Remember with a smile.

1 comment:

Donald Maciver said...

I'm posting this comment which comes from an email I received from Christa, and explains about the stair community amongst other things: "You did a fine job of describing Mandy's death and funeral... One comment I have to make is that the Stair Community was not run by anyone; it was an ecumenical venture into trying to live in community in the run-down area of West Pilton. We got a whole stair to rent from the council and it just happened that there were three households of ministers as well as an artist (Joyce Gunn Cairns) and another couple who were members of the Church of Scotland. I was the Catholic household with Mandy. We were all 30 years younger, idealistic and had spent quite a time planning the thing. I managed to be there for only 7 months before moving out to an ordinary stair round the corner where I lived for 4 years. This is where I was when Mandy had her first two children and she was living in Muirhouse Green. I am so glad I could be at Mandy's funeral. It was dignified and we were so lucky to have a bright,m dry day too. I too thought Keiran did a fine job and I was amazed at just how articulate he was... a natural public speaker."