Saturday, June 16, 2012

President Humala visits my kids

Today I've been thinking about the working kids of Villa Maria, in Lima, not that they are often far from my mind. I keep in touch with their lives through Flor, whom I phone regularly. Good practice for my Spanish as she speaks not a word of English.

I would love to be with them today, in Lima, as they are being visited by President Humala, the recently elected president of Peru, who apparently  wants to see for himself the work being done with these kids in Villa Maria. Flor is very excited needless to say, so who knows what might come of it. More funds one can but hope or more support of one sort or another.

I'm hoping Flor will be able to take some photos which I can post on here. So good luck Flor and all those brilliant kids.

Last night I went to see Jaws in the Filmhouse. The film has been digitally remastered and is better than ever. If you have only ever seen it on TV you should take this chance to see it on the big screen. It's superb, Spielberg at his best. Scary, funny and moving. Made me jump out of my seat and scream at one scene. Go see, it's a treat.

Today it's been raining heavily in Edinburgh, so been listening to James Joyce's Ulysses on BBC radio. They are broadcasting a dramatised version of it spread over today, which is Bloomsday. So happy Bloomsday to one and all, and don't worry if you missed it today, there is a podcast available for downloading at your leisure.

I hope you all saw young Welbeck's goal last night. Goal of the tournament methinks, and Walcott did pretty well too, which is nice, as he seems like a good kid.

No comments: